Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bird Nerd


I’ll admit it.  I have always been one.  Ask my mother.  At an early age I was mimicking bird sounds, (apparently mostly annoying loud ones such as the Ibis, my mother tells me) begging to go on bird walks, and looking for small birds in the grass along with the big game on a game drive.  Turns out, Zambia is a bird lovers paradise!  I was delighted to find that our house is nestled between two large trees and backs up to a few acres of trees and tall grasses.  This morning I sat on our back veranda and saw both the Grey-headed Kingfisher and the Brown-hooded Kingfisher, I saw countless Dark-capped Bulbuls, Blue Waxbills, and so many others that I have yet to identify.  The most exotic birds I have seen were the Ross’s Turaco, Southern Ground-Hornbill (not as pretty but massive!), the African Hoopoe, and the Broad-Tailed Paradise-Whydah.  Okay, I will not bore those of you who are not ornithologists at heart, any longer.  Thanks for indulging me.  This may or may not be the first of many bird-sighting updates on this blog.

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Matthew 6:26



2 comments:

  1. Me too Amy! (Katie more than me). You come visit us in Angola and we will take you birding!

    ReplyDelete