“We are all stretchable!” As I sat listening to a sermon our first Sunday here at
Mukinge, I felt somewhat uncomfortable and I couldn’t quite figure out
why. Then I heard the minister say
emphatically “We are all stretchable!”
He was talking mostly about making New Years resolutions for being a
better person. But his words gave
me insight into why I was feeling the way I was. I was feeling stretched, stretched in many different
ways and many different directions.
I have already been stretched here medically. I’ve been assigned to the Maternity
ward, which I was excited about, as it would allow me to use the skills that I
spent extra time in training to acquire.
However, along with it came responsibility for the neonatal nursery,
which I’ve had exposure to, but never to this degree. I remember picking up the chart and seeing the weight of one
baby in particular that was born at about 28-30 weeks and feeling a slight
sinking (or maybe stretching?) feeling in the pit of my stomach. The child weighed 1.162 kilograms or 2
pounds 8 ounces. She was one of
two twins. The other twin didn’t
make it.
We’ve also been stretched culturally. Of course, there have been many
introductions to our new teammates, hospital administration, nursing staff and
nursing students, not to mention the patients. There has been a constant self-imposed pressure to make good
first impressions in all of them, to avoid blunders such as saying the word for
“urination” when you are trying to say the name of the local language or, even
worse, saying the word for “diarrhea” instead of saying the word for “goodbye”,
both of which I have done before.
But it has also been a challenge to understand the worldview of my
patients on a deeper level. Take
for instance the mother of two premature twins who would pull out the
nasogastric (NG) tubes out of her twins’ noses each night. The infants were too young and small to
meet their nutritional needs just by breastfeeding, which made a NG tube
necessary. But during a long talk
with her, I discovered that her view of the NG tube was that it was a sign that
her children were going to die, not a necessary treatment to help her children
grow. Taken at face value, her
view might seem pretty reasonable as some of the patients who do pass away here
may have an NG tube at some point before they die. While I thought the very long detailed explanation from the
nurse and me made everything somewhat clear, the next day…you guessed it…both
NG tubes were mysteriously out again.
Finally we have been stretched spiritually. Like many of you, we find ourselves
straining to discern where the Lord would have us invest extra time probing
deeper into the stories of people who He puts in our path. Is it the 15 year-old who just had her
first child? Or is it the
middle-aged man just diagnosed with HIV?
Or is it the anxious mother of a young sick infant? Or is it all of them? Is that even
possible? These are some of the
questions that we continue to wrestle with.
But even though stretching is uncomfortable, even at times
painful, the good news is we are all stretchable. By God’s grace, He gives us all the capacity to go beyond any
self-serving limits we may impose on ourselves to live out the calling He
places in our lives. The Hebrew
writer says it this way:
“Now may the God of peace….equip you with everything good
for doing His will, and may He work in us what is pleasing to him, through
Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
May He continue to stretch us all.
Thank you for this post. All I can say is wow! You are being stretched but you are doing so good! We love you and we're praying for you. Much love and blessings, Rosemary Perry
ReplyDeleteYou sound like a nurse! Praying for you and Stephen, love you both!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Stephen, for the blog post. I am confident that God made you for "stretching." Love you and praying for you lots! And Amy, too!
ReplyDeleteAmen. Thank you for the exhortation. May the words of the Hebrew writer ring true in your lives and in ours. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteThank you for these words about ways you are being stretched and the words that challenge me, and other readers, to become more what God would have us to be. We love you!
ReplyDeleteExcellent writing, excellent post. I am very proud of you and Amy for your work.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post. Thank you. I feel stretched here in East Tennessee a lot of the time. It's good to be reminded that maybe that's exactly the way God meant me to feel.
ReplyDelete